Y’all ever get super sentimental and reflective around your bday? I always do and I think the amount of time I’ve been alone (thx rona!) lately I have reflected a ton as I am about to turn 24.
I think that saying that this year was a roller coaster is an understatement for most of us. I started 23 honestly really unhappy. I felt unappreciated at my workplace, unseen and was no longer inspired by the work I was doing. My mental health tanked and although I was a pro at slapping a fake smile on my face trying to look happy, I knew I needed a life change. And after spending the most magical week in NYC for New Year’s Eve, I had a wake up call (Also the best sleep I’ve had in months) and decided I need to find the energy to create the life I want. I ended up leaving my toxic workplace that was draining me, went to Europe (for the first time) for 3 weeks, saw some Broadway shows, moved to NYC, got a job working in events (my dream), got laid off from said job two weeks later, spent months not leaving my 250 sq ft apartment, got a new job, worked remote, read a lot, reconnected with old friends, started my Bookstagram, broke my NYC lease, explored new states, started yoga teacher training and worked on improving my mental health for the first time in my life. Not every day is glamorous or great, but looking back on me a year ago that had lost spunk for so many things that brought joy, I’m proud of myself for pushing through.
Looking back, there were so many times I felt knocked down this year and wasn’t sure if things would get better or how to find the energy to work on me.
23 Things I Learned this Year:
- It’s okay to be vulnerable and ask for help.
- Don’t be afraid to stand up for yourself, especially if you’re not being treated the way you should.
- Move your body for enjoyment, not because you feel like you have to.
- Follow your freaking gut. It won’t steer you wrong.
- Learn how to be alone with yourself and be okay with it.
- Find a creative outlet that brings you joy, not that you are trying to make profitable. (I’m looking at your Bookstagram and blog)
- Buy the plane ticket because you don’t know when you’ll have the chance to go again. (Literally)
- If things don’t go as planned it doesn’t mean you’ve failed.
- It’s okay to not have it all figured out.
- You matter. You really do.
- Go get that tattoo/piercing/whatever you’ve been holding back from because of being scared of what people think.
- The people who love you unconditionally will catch you when you fall.
- It’s okay to be afraid of the unknown, but jump in anyway.
- Treat yo-self!
- Your life is not on a timeline. Stop comparing yourself.
- Feel your emotions fully. (Still working on this, stay tuned for next year)
- Be authentic and nerdy and however tf you feel!
- Don’t be afraid to take a break/breather/rest.
- JOURNAL! I love to hate it but journaling has been a game changer for me.
- Learn a TikTok dance and laugh at yourself.
- Your body is beautiful the way it is. Stop comparing yourself.
- Admit when you’re wrong and learn to apologize.
- Life is a roller coaster – learn to enjoy the highs and grow from the lows.
23, you’ve been the most life changing and challenging year yet. I’m hoping for a little more mental stability for 24 but I know that whatever comes my way I will find a way to persevere.